Re: [K12OSN] Getting sound going with videos

I tried the advice given and now I get a message, cannot open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
This is the same whether I use commandline or gui.

In the gui, if I go to sound config there is no esd driver (only oss, alsa, mpg etc.) should there be?

Shawn Powers wrote:

On Feb 3, 2006, at 3:47 AM, Krsnendu Dasa wrote

Any tips how to get this working?

I don't know the exact file location (and I think it can vary based on install) but you want to find the config file for mplayer. For the individual user it is almost always in:

/home/user/.mplayer/config

my system-wide file is in:

/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf

The items in the user file override the items in the system wide file. In my system wide file, I have:

vo=xvidix,xv,x11
ao=esd,alsa

mplayer attempts to use those in order. "vo" means video output. xvidix is great if you have an ati card. xv is accelerated (allows scaling) and x11 is sorta the "works on most" driver, but hardware scaling is not supported. I find that order listed works best for me.

the "ao" means audio output.  Make sure esd is listed first.

Hope that helps! Don't forget to install mplayerplug-in as well! (It allows embedded video in firefox)

-Shawn