[K12OSN] Connecting to a Microsoft Access DB in Open Office

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Feb 10 14:44:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 08:24, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 14:56:26 +0200, Steve and Khanya wrote
> > I am about to set up a k12osn network in our school library, but am
> > worried about access to library records currently in an Access DB.
> > Connecting to ODBC seems to be a little problammatic.  How do I know
> > what to install to get the drivers functional.  Perhaps there is
> > another program I can use to translate the DB into a more linux
> > friendly environment?
>
> I would love to see the answer to this one.  I too have a couple of MS Access
> DB's that I would like to simply convert into and Open Source database.  They
> have many tables, relationships, queries, reports, etc.  I can export data and
> rebuild anything else, but a simpler way would be very cool.  I have tried to
> open them in OpenOffice since it seemed to have a feature to open Access, but
> no luck.

There are some tools to access the mdb format database at:
http://mdbtools.sourceforge.net/
But, if you can still run access you might be better off hooking it
to postgresql via the MS ODBC driver and migrating the tables
to sql.  Then you could continue to use access even after adding
other ways to connect to the sql tables.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com