[K12OSN] how to create etherboot CD

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Fri Feb 10 20:43:09 UTC 2006

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 13:26, Petre Scheie wrote:
>
>>> I hacked someone else's CD image, don't remember the exact details (it
>>> is in the archives...).
>>>
>>> Give this a spin:
>>>
>>> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/eb_pci.iso
>>>
>>> -Eric
>> Well, that works a bit better than my CDs: FreeDOS seems to load, and I get the screen
>> full of dots (is this the tftp stage?), ending in 'done'.  But then the next line says
>> 'Issuing RESET:' and it just hangs there.
>
> That one works for me in an old Capuccino mini-book PC.  The dots
> should be the tftp part and after the 'done' you should get
> something like
> mknbi-1.4.0/first32.c (GPP)
> Top of ramdisk is 0X07EE0000.
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

Perhaps it's just a problem with the Dell Optiplex I tested it on.  The machine this is
actually for, a Micron (does Micron even make PCs any more?) is at another site, so I'll
take the CD there this weekend and try it.  Interestingly, I tried the PXES bootable CD
in the Dell, choosing XDM at the boot menu, and it works just fine, boots up the login
screen from the server in just a few seconds.

(BTW Eric, I tried to google for your original messages about the CD but couldn't find any.)