[K12OSN] Re: K12OSN Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Tue Feb 14 14:30:23 UTC 2006

Paul,

I am stuck with an ADS infrastructure (Exchange is entrenched) for the
moment.  I disabled my Windows DHCP server and use one of my Linux
servers for DHCP.  Using Linux DHCP allows you to have if/else
statements within the configuration file, so your server can hand out a
PXE or other type of boot image (ie: using etherboot) automatically
rather than having to specify PXE or etherboot images, and then
overiding specific clients (if you were using Winders DHCP).  I've run
it for at least a year and a half with no problems.

Handing off the servers... depending on the size of the school and if
you do not want to go around manually renewing IP addresses to get
people on the new  Linux DHCP server, you might want to setup an IP pool
on each server that does not overlap (you probably don't want to change
subnets/networks... ick.).  Then you can shut off the Windows DHCP
server and not have to worry about new clients getting the same ip
addresses as systems still on the network... do you follow?  I also set
the lease time to 6 hours right before I did the switch so IP addresses
would refresh pretty quickly (so you could theoretically do it one
evening and have everyone up on the new IPs in the morning by just
switching off the windows dhcp server and starting the new Linux one).
Remember that if you change the lease time, you probably still have
computers out there that just renewed before you changed and still have
the original time (1 day, 2 days, etc).    If you have a router that has
to relay DHCP information, make sure you update that to the new IP
address of the server (I've been splitting into 10.142.*.* networks for
each building.... Linux and Windows 2k/XP systems only... no 98 )

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org