Re: [K12OSN] Re: Blocking users from printing to network printer

Robert Arkiletian skrev:
On 2/14/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
Is there a way to block students from printing to a network printer?

I should have mentioned that I still want to be able to print. I just
want to block students from printing.

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to print, but block some users? You're using cups right? I know that Fedora/Redhat likes to write its own printers.conf file, but on my Debian main server I use groups to do this.

For example, you can create two groups (you'll probably want more, but to prove my point), lets call them teacher and student. Now make all your teachers a member of teacher and enroll the students into the student group.

Now, add this line to your printers.conf for all your "teacher-only" printers:

AllowUser @teacher

This way members of "teacher" can print, everyone else can not print.

I suspect that system-config-printer in Fedora/Redhat will alter or remove this line... I'm not sure, but you can give it a go. This works perfectly on my Debian Sarge box which acts as file/printserver.

Trond Maehlum

--
Robert Arkiletian