Re: [K12OSN] Re: Blocking users from printing to network printer

On 2/14/06, Trond Mæhlum <trond maehlum net> wrote:
> Robert Arkiletian skrev:
> > On 2/14/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:
> >> Is there a way to block students from printing to a network printer?
> If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to print, but block
> some users? You're using cups right? I know that Fedora/Redhat likes to
> write its own printers.conf file, but on my Debian main server I use
> groups to do this.

I am not running cups. The printer is an HP network printer with it's
own ip using jetdirect. I just setup the printer using
system-config-printer. It works great but I don't want everyone on the
LTSP server to be able to print. The only other thing I can think of
is to chgrp and chmod lpr to allow only the group I want print. Is
there a more elegant way of doing this?
--
Robert Arkiletian