[K12OSN] Re: Blocking users from printing to network printer

Dan Young dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Feb 15 00:03:44 UTC 2006

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> I am not running cups. The printer is an HP network printer with it's
> own ip using jetdirect. I just setup the printer using
> system-config-printer. It works great but I don't want everyone on the
> LTSP server to be able to print. The only other thing I can think of
> is to chgrp and chmod lpr to allow only the group I want print. Is
> there a more elegant way of doing this?

You are running CUPS in a fashion, if you used system-config-printer.
Take a look at this sample chapter from Carla Schroder's Linux Cookbook
(published by O'Reilly). Recipe 14.9 covers restricting print queues to
certain users.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/chapter/ch14.pdf

Short story: Sounds like you're looking for the AllowUser/DenyUser
parameters in /etc/cups/printers.conf

Carla is a good writer (and a member of my local LUG).

--
Dan Young <dan_young at mesd.k12.or.us>
Multnomah ESD - Technology Services