Re: [K12OSN] Re: Blocking users from printing to network printer

Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On 2/14/06, Trond Mæhlum <trond maehlum net> wrote:

Robert Arkiletian skrev:

On 2/14/06, Robert Arkiletian <robark gmail com> wrote:

Is there a way to block students from printing to a network printer?

If I understand you correctly, you want to be able to print, but block
some users? You're using cups right? I know that Fedora/Redhat likes to
write its own printers.conf file, but on my Debian main server I use
groups to do this.

I am not running cups. The printer is an HP network printer with it's
own ip using jetdirect. I just setup the printer using
system-config-printer. It works great but I don't want everyone on the
LTSP server to be able to print. The only other thing I can think of
is to chgrp and chmod lpr to allow only the group I want print. Is
there a more elegant way of doing this?

Hi

The simple method I have used to stop accidental printing by daycare age kids is to create a printer that prints to /dev/null and make it their default.

If you want to prevent abuse it does not work but for accidental printing it works well...

Tim