[K12OSN] Interesting article abount firefox memory usage

Jim McQuillan jam at mcquil.com
Thu Feb 16 19:28:22 UTC 2006

Hey guys,

there's an excellent blog entry about firefox's memory usage, and a clue
at how to make it better.

  http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/ben/archives/009749.html

What's especially interesting is that their algorithm doesn't take into
consideration the idea that multiple users might be running firefox on
the same machine (LTSP Server), so they are caching way too many pages,
and consuming way too much ram for us LTSP people.

I'm thinking that setting 'browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers' to
either 0 or 1 is the

I'm still running firefox 1.0.4 on my server, and I don't see that
config item in 'about:config', so maybe it's new for 1.5.

Anyway, Just thought i'd point you all to this article. It might help some.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org