Re: [K12OSN] sound using esd does not work on 4.4.1

Generally in LTSP when logged in as root sound is not sent to clients; sound is only sent when logged in as a user. You seem to have turned it the other way around. Try logging in as user run xmms and specify the name/ip address of the client in the settings and see what happens.

Krsnendu dasa

P.S. I have a 4.4.1 sandbox but I have not really tested the sound on it yet. I also considered it for the sound feature. At the same time I installed the sandbox I also turned on the "sound hacks" option in my production 4.2.0 server and now sound works well. xmms, tuxmath, flash websites, Mplayer, etc. Haven't got WINE sound working yet...

norm hanna wrote:

Sorry for going over this again, but I have a sound issue on the clients (which is the driving factor towards moving to 4.4.1)

In the test thjn client, I am having difficulties with sound using esd and gnome under version 4.4.1. The test server was built by taking all the defaults in the 4.4.1 installation. I have also tried with all defaults and yum -y upgrade with exact same results.

Both the thin client and the server have the same sound integrated i810_audio.

When I log into the thin client as root, sound works well under xmms, rhythmbox (with gstreamer-plugins), gstreamer-properties, sounds from the sound server under gnome, etc.....even the volume controls show up. esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav works well. using "tcpdump | grep 16001" on the server console when running the command esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav on the thin clien , I see a lot of activity.

but when I login as any user, nothing works. using gstreamer-properties, when I test esd, nothing. esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav, nothing. I do not get errors from esdplay, gstreamer-properties test returns "failed to construct test pipeline for "ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon" "tcpdump | grep 16001" does not return any activity.

I think this is a rights issue, or setup of esd, but I am unable to locate / or solve the issue. Any help, guidence would be appreciated.

I thank you in advance for any assistance solving this issue,

norm