[K12OSN] OT - school financial/accounting software

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Fri Feb 17 16:30:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 10:57 AM rmcdaniel at indata.us said:

>> I looked at SQL Ledger and it does look nice, simple interface.
>> It doesn't have a payroll module and unfortunately we do that
>> inhouse.  I haven't seen any programs that have the payroll
>> module.  I appreciate all that have sent input on this subject.

How big (number of employees) and how complicated (tax jurisdictions) is
your payroll?  Would it be possible to calculate the information outside
of SQL Ledger and then transfer the data and print checks?

There's an open source payroll system called Paythyme
(http://paythyme.com/) but sadly, it only supports UK businesses at this
point.  I wonder how much work it would be to convert it to the US
rules, etc.

I also found this one - http://www.pangeasoft.net/payroll/ but I don't
really know anything about it.  Looks like it may only calculate federal
payroll which isn't really all you need (or even the trickiest part).

Even if you had to keep a stand-alone Windows box with a payroll package
on it, if that would output data that you could copy and import into SQL
Ledger (that part you'd probably have to code yourself), it would be a
good first step.  Then, when something becomes available, you'll be set
to add it.

--
Henry