[K12OSN] sound using esd does not work on 4.4.1

norm hanna norm.hanna at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 19:14:50 UTC 2006

Thanks for the guidance.  It is frustrating, but yes, my installation seems
to run inversely from the documentation.

I will try to specify the name/ipaddress of the client in the settings for
xmms and see what happens, I know how to do that.

You have mentioned turning on the "sound hacks" option.....This is the first
that I have heard of the "sound hacks".  Could you please tell me what I
must run or configure to turn on the "sound hacks"?  How do I see if the
"sound hacks" are enabled?

Norm

Generally in LTSP when logged in as root sound is not sent to clients; sound
is only sent when logged in as a user. You seem to have turned it the other
way around. Try logging in as user run xmms and specify the name/ip address
of the client in the settings and see what happens.

Krsnendu dasa

P.S. I have a 4.4.1 sandbox but I have not really tested the sound on it yet.
I also considered it for the sound feature. At the same time I installed the
sandbox I also turned on the "sound hacks" option in my production
4.2.0server and now sound works well. xmms, tuxmath, flash websites,
Mplayer, etc. Haven't got WINE sound working yet...

norm hanna wrote:

Sorry for going over this again, but I have a sound issue on the clients
(which is the driving factor towards moving to 4.4.1) In the test thjn
client, I am having difficulties with sound using esd and gnome under
version 4.4.1. The test server was built by taking all the defaults in the
4.4.1 installation. I have also tried with all defaults and yum -y upgrade
with exact same results. Both the thin client and the server have the same
sound integrated i810_audio. When I log into the thin client as root, sound
works well under xmms, rhythmbox (with gstreamer-plugins),
gstreamer-properties, sounds from the sound server under gnome, etc.....even
the volume controls show up. esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav works well.
using "tcpdump | grep 16001" on the server console when running the command
esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav on the thin clien , I see a lot of
activity. but when I login as any user, nothing works. using
gstreamer-properties,
when I test esd, nothing. esdplay /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav, nothing. I do
not get errors from esdplay, gstreamer-properties test returns "failed to
construct test pipeline for "ESD - Enlightenment Sound Daemon" "tcpdump |
grep 16001" does not return any activity. I think this is a rights issue, or
setup of esd, but I am unable to locate / or solve the issue. Any help,
guidence would be appreciated.

I thank you in advance for any assistance solving this issue,

norm