[K12OSN] sound advice K12LTSP with Windows Terminal Server 2003

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Feb 18 01:31:01 UTC 2006

I need some ideas.

I have a K12LTSP network with a mix of terminals, but my lab and the
library are all LTSP Term 150's from disklessworkstations.com.  My
issue....getting sound to work well on the K12LTSP terminals from within
the Windows Terminal Server session.

Background:  I have nasd enabled in lts.conf and in Linux....everything
works....Flash, MPlayer....games....everything.  If I type   rdesktop -f
-a 16 -d vcsnet -r sound 10..0.7.253     and log in....I get
sound....albeit very choppy and with considerable delay.

Today I was off-site with my Ubuntu laptop and I figured "what the
heck"....I tried to get sound working in an rdesktop session by typing the
command above with an external IP to access my server and lo' and behold
the sound worked great!  Now granted....we're talking local install vs.
terminal.....and we're also dealing with esd and possibly gstreamer...etc.
vs. nasd.

Does anyone out there have sound from Windows Terminal services working
alright through their terminals....and if so....how'd you do it?
Also....any advice on what I can try....I'm open to trying new sound ideas
so long as it'll work with Flash.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School