[K12OSN] desktop resolution issue

I've googled to no avail. I hope someone can help. We've built a cart of IBM Celeron laptops which are thin (wayfast) clients off of 4.4.1 running on a P4 server with Intel i865 (iirc) video.

So far, so good. Issue is that I've tried to set the desktop at 1064 x 768 but I get a 800 x 600 resolution on a 1064 x 768 desktop - the funky one whose edges go past the edge of the monitor. When I go to preferences, it shows that I'm in 1064 x 768. The only fix is to choose another resolution then go back. Then I get real 1064. However, when the server restarts, the issue returns.

I've hardcoded 1064 in lts.conf both with and without additional resolution info and still get the same problem. I'm sure it's something simple but what am I missing here?

btw, we are using GNOME on kdm so we can automate login if that matters.

regards,
William Fragakis
morrisbrandon.com
Morris Brandon Elementary