Re: [K12OSN] VNC into server from outside

Assuming you are using VNC to allow you to connect to gdm--that is, when you connect via VNC, you get the same login screen as the clients--login as root and run Fl_teachertool to see what the kids are doing. Or run 'ps -ef' or 'ps -aux' in a terminal window to see all processes for all students, for a lower-level view.

BTW, if you're using VNC to connect to your server from the outside world, have a look at Freenx. You can install the server part with just 'yum install freenx'. Be sure to get the client piece from the www.nomachine.com website, as the one that comes in the freenx package appears to be broken. Follow the directions, esp. the bit about importing the server's key, at http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/. Why do all this? Because the performance of NX is substantially better than VNC. VNC is better than driving into the office to fix a problem, but you wouldn't want to use it very long. NX on the other hand is nearly real time and works pretty well even over dial-up. It all works over SSH/port 22. It's worth the effort.

Petre

mark ehle homelinux org wrote:
Thanks for the information - Silly me - I had to unblock those ports on the
server firewall.

Now that I can VNC into the server, how do I view what my students are doing?\

Thanks again!

Mark

Quoting Dan Dwelley <ddwelley msad54 org>:

VNC uses ports 6000, 590x, and 580x. Check your firewall to determine
these ranges are not blocked.

Dan