[K12OSN] VNC into server from outside

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Feb 23 15:04:32 UTC 2006

Assuming you are using VNC to allow you to connect to gdm--that is, when you connect via
VNC, you get the same login screen as the clients--login as root and run Fl_teachertool
to see what the kids are doing.  Or run 'ps -ef' or 'ps -aux' in a terminal window to
see all processes for all students, for a lower-level view.

BTW, if you're using VNC to connect to your server from the outside world, have a look
at Freenx.  You can install the server part with just 'yum install freenx'.  Be sure to
get the client piece from the www.nomachine.com website, as the one that comes in the
freenx package appears to be broken.  Follow the directions, esp. the bit about
importing the server's key, at  http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/.
Why do all this?  Because the performance of NX is substantially better than VNC.  VNC
is better than driving into the office to fix a problem, but you wouldn't want to use it
very long.  NX on the other hand is nearly real time and works pretty well even over
dial-up. It all works over SSH/port 22.  It's worth the effort.

Petre