[K12OSN] LTSP - NFS/CIFS

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Mon Feb 27 03:52:38 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Saturday, February 25, 2006 at 3:09 PM +0000 wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am currently running a LTSP setup for 60 users. The /home directory
>and data is provided to the terminalserver via NFS. However, NFS is
>giving me headaches. Sometimes access to all files and directories on
>the NFS server is being denied. I cannot figure out why this happens.
>The problem arises very infrequently. I reinstalled the whole file- and
>terminalserver. The software on the servers is up to date now. The
>problem happened with the old installation, which was 2 years old, and
>it still exists in the new installation. The problem goes away after a
>few minutes and everything works smoothly again. The fileserver is also
>running Samba. User accounts are stored centrally in a LDAP database.
>UIDs/GIDs match on both servers. Users are in no more than 13 groups
>max.

You mention that users are the same on each server.  Are they both Linux
servers?  If so, why would you have users on both servers?  Use something
like smbldap-installer  http://www.majen.net/smbldap  and to set
everything up on the file server.  I have Samba and LDAP running on my
file server and simply point my K12LTSP server to it for authentication
using authconfig.  I export the /home directories via NFS....no issues at
all and have been doing this for 3-4 years now.

Seriously, use smbldap-installer and you'll have no issues at all.  :-)