Re: [K12OSN] LTSP - NFS/CIFS

Quoting David Trask <dtrask vcsvikings org>:

Hi,

You mention that users are the same on each server.  Are they both Linux
servers?  If so, why would you have users on both servers?

yes, they are both running Linux. My user accounts are stored in LDAP. Both servers use the same LDAP database, that's why they appear on both servers, obviously.

Use something like smbldap-installer  http://www.majen.net/smbldap and to set
everything up on the file server.  I have Samba and LDAP running on my
file server and simply point my K12LTSP server to it for authentication
using authconfig.  I export the /home directories via NFS....no issues at
all and have been doing this for 3-4 years now.

Well, that's what I am doing as well. The LTSP server is using the fileserver and LDAP for authentication. I am sure the script you mentioned is helpful but my user accounts and Samba are already setup.

I think I have found the issue now though :

Some users log in as "User" instead of "user". The weird thing is, that "id user" and "id User" return different results when it comes to group membership. I guess this happens because the uid attribute in the LDAP schema file is case insensitive while the memberUid attribute is case sensitive. This leads to weird results. I have found a PAM module which forces users to login with their name in lowercase. I am going to try that and see if it helps.

Cheers,
--
Daniel Bramkamp