[K12OSN] transparent proxying with LTSP--SOLVED

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Feb 28 15:04:00 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, February 28, 2006 at 9:27 AM +0000 wrote:
>Do tell. I tried ipcop and sme but the need for 2 nics through me and I
>tried to get dhcrelay to work in ipcop, but I'm not good enough with
>IPTables to not screw it up.
>Mark

The idea for two NIC's is that it sits at the choke point of your network
and becomes the firewall/proxy/content filter (and DHCP server if you
wish).  You can also have it tag your SPAM and filter all traffic with
anti-virus.  One NIC is the external interface going to the Internet and
the other is the internal interface going to the LAN.  Cool thing is...you
get rock-solid security and it's next to impossible to bypass.  I know of
a lot of schools who have used E-Smith/SME to get rid of SonicWalls.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org