[K12OSN] Need help testing a different approach for the caching-nameserver-ltsp package

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Jan 3 02:14:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:

> Eric Harrison wrote:
>

>> I think I have a graceful work-around for the conflicts between the
>> latest named & caching-nameserver package updates and K12LTSP's
>> caching-nameserver-ltsp package.
>>

>> Traditionaly, the caching-nameserver-ltsp package was a replacement
>> for the caching-nameserver package. In my test package, I make the
>> caching-nameserver-ltsp require the caching-nameserver and then
>> include both sets of files into an alternate name.conf file:
>>
>> named is started with an alternate config file by adding
>> OPTIONS="-c /etc/named-k12ltsp.conf" to /etc/sysconfig/named.
>> /etc/named-k12ltsp.conf includes /etc/named.conf and the ltsp zones.
>>

>> There are two scenarios I have found where this breaks. One is
>> that /etc/named.conf has been customized but still includes the
>> ltsp zones. If the ltsp zones are included twice, named won't start.
>> The second case is that an alternate config file was already
>> specified in /etc/sysconfig/named. If such a customization was made,
>> the caching-nameserver-ltsp package should not modify it.
>>
>> If either of these conditions are detected, the caching-nameserver-ltsp
>> package skips adding OPTIONS="-c /etc/named-k12ltsp.conf" to
>> /etc/sysconfig/named.
>>

>> I would greatly appreciate help in reviewing and testing of this
>> package on K12LTSP 4.4.1:
>>
>> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/caching-nameserver-ltsp-7.3-5.k12ltsp.4.4.2.noarch.rpm
>>
>> -Eric
>
> I see you do accommodate the case where someone has the bind-chroot rpm
> installed.

Yes, I tested that.

> I noticed that ltsp.arpa has a duplicate entry for "1".

Thanks for catching that, I'll fix it.

> Have you considered having the postinstall script add
> include "/etc/named-k12ltsp.conf";
> at the end of named.conf if it does not already exist?  Kind of the reverse of
> your current implementation, but the relationship with k12ltsp zones would be
> more obvious, since people often edit named.conf, but overlook
> /etc/sysconfig/named.  Of course if you do so, the line
> include "/etc/named.conf";
> will need to be removed from named-k12ltsp.conf

I considered the "reverse implementation", but initially decided against
it for two reasons:

1) It is bad form to modify another package's config files. It is less
    inappropriate to change the system-specific configs in /etc/sysconfig/*

2) It is less reslient to updates. An upgrade of the caching-nameserver
    package could wipe out the 'include "/etc/named-k12ltsp.conf";'

My basic theory is that /etc/sysconfig/named has a lower risk of being
modified or replaced by rpm than /etc/named.conf. By including /etc/named.conf
from /etc/named-k12ltsp.conf, any changes to /etc/named.conf (whether they
be made by the admin or by upstream package updates) will be still be
picked up by named.

> When there is an OPTIONS= line already, but lacking double-quotes, with no
> prior -c option, addition of the alternate config fails quietly.

Good point.

Now I'll have to actually think about the required regex! (suggestions
welcomed ;-)

There are at least three valid cases:

   OPTIONS=something  # a single option with no spaces does not need quotes

   OPTIONS="something=true anotherthing=false" # double quoted options

   OPTIONS='something=true anotherthing=false' # single quoted options

> Otherwise it looks good!
>
> Chris

Thanks for the feedback Chris!

-Eric