[K12OSN] nxclient won't run, missing charsets

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jan 19 13:47:33 UTC 2006

I installed freenx via yum yesterday on a K12LTSP 4.4.1 server.  The nxserver works like
a champ (mostly), but when I try to start the nxclient via the command line, to connect
to another server, I get an error about 'missing charsets' and that it can't load a
fontset.  A dialog box also pops up, but there's no text in it (perhaps because of the
missing charsets?).  Googling, I found one post that says doing an 'export LANG=C' gets
rid of the errors on the command line, but the empty dialog box still pops up and
nxclient still doesn't start. I also tried starting nxclient on a Centos 4 box and got
the same empty dialog box but no errors and it would not run; so it seems like it might
be a Red Hat thing.  Interestingly, nxclient works just fine on my old K12LTSP 3.0.1
(RH8) box.  Is anyone else seeing this?  Better still, anyone got a workaround?

Petre