[K12OSN] nxclient won't run, missing charsets--solved

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Jan 19 15:55:16 UTC 2006

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
>>Is anyone using freenx to give outside access to school computer
>>systems?  That is, is anyone running a server with freenx and
>>allowing students/teachers to connect from home by using nxclient on
>>their home computers?  Since the traffic is all encrypted over port
>>22, I'd think it would be reasonably safe.
>

> How is the speed?

It's terrific!  I've been using VNC-over-ssh for the past few years.  That works but
it's still kind of a pain.  But NX is stupendous! With NX, I'll never use VNC again. I
connect to my server at home and it's real time or at least seems like it.  This weekend
I'm going take my laptop to the public library, where they have free wireless access and
test it.

What I'm curious about is how well it will scale up.  It's one thing for me to connect
to my server and get decent performance; it's another thing for 10 or 20 or 50 or 100
people to do the same.