[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 15:41:28 UTC 2006

I'm not in a school anymore, but it seems to me that if the problem is
as acute as you say, you should consider training your counselors,
school psychologists, and/or whomever else handles student support to
read your students' blogs on MySpace regularly.

I would try hard not to do this punitively ("you're suspended for what
you wrote on MySpace") but to focus on intervening stopping these
problems before they happen.  Beyond that, I think just making it very
clear to students that they are being watched on MySpace will scatter
them a bit.  So the next step will be that these communities will move
to more private spaces to avoid adult eyes, but I think that making
them more hidden will make them a little less popular with the kids.

--Tom