[K12OSN] Osx mount nfs shares the desktop

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Jan 24 19:15:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:56:26 +0100, Kevin Verheyen wrote
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to be able to automount our nfs (or smb) shares onto the
> desktop of my headmasters portable (powerbook 12 inch) running osX 10.4
> As she wil be using her laptop at home too I can't simply give her a
>  roaming account on our fileserver.
>
> Could you give me a hint in how to solve this issue?
> Really can't get out of it, the ldap auth issue is too difficult to
> beat for me too (like to have her auth againsyt our ldap server on
> fc4): In school yes she will be able to login, but what on a remote site?

Here is my tutorial for automounting NFS /home on a OSX machine and auth it to
LDAP.  This creates a roaming profile by storing all user info on the server.
 Doesn't sound like that is what you want, but you should be able to tweak it
to mount whatever file system you need.  As for the offsite authentication, I
would think that as long as the LDAP ports are open to the outside world and
your OSX machine was setup with a valid domain name for authentication it
should be able to find the server when offsite.

http://www.1-cs.com/osxldap.html