[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Tom Hoffman tom.hoffman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:55:28 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Timothy Hart <timothy.hart at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not think we need someone to be hired to be the fascist read everything
> the student does type of thing. In the future this will be less of a deal as
> older people become as (if a little more) tech savy.

Yes, but doesn't becoming more tech savvy = being able to navigate
MySpace, etc., oneself?

> I am pretty young
> myself and am involved in a lot of the same activities as the "kids" (not
> myspace but others). I get to lead by example. This isn't to say there are
> problems, but I am very against total censorship of any kind.

There is nothing either fascist or censorial about reading public
material on the web.  Part of being tech savvy is understanding that.

The question is whether or not the school has effective methods of
addressing issues in students lives that aren't strictly punitive
(advisors, counselors, mentors, therapists, etc.).

--Tom