[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Tue Jan 24 21:44:46 UTC 2006

You say you are young enough to participate in many of the same tech
activities as the kids.  I take that to mean that you haven't had a lot
of experience in the educational world.  This "laissez faire" attitude
is real nice until a group of FBI agents and Homeland Security Agents
and State Police show up at the front door and you as the technology
coordinator get  pulled into the middle of a "mess".  An hour later one
of our most respected teachers was lead away in handcuffs because of
what he was doing online.

Now that will change your views on content filtering in a hurry.

Timothy Hart wrote:

> On 1/24/06, *Tom Hoffman* <tom.hoffman at gmail.com
> <mailto:tom.hoffman at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Yes, but doesn't becoming more tech savvy = being able to navigate
>     MySpace, etc., oneself?
>

> Yes, I agree.
>
>     There is nothing either fascist or censorial about reading public
>     material on the web.  Part of being tech savvy is understanding that.
>

> I am saying that it would be a waste to have someone reading all the
> material looking for people saying mean things and what not. My point
> was as we do become more tech savy this will happen automatically.
>
>     The question is whether or not the school has effective methods of
>     addressing issues in students lives that aren't strictly punitive
>     (advisors, counselors, mentors, therapists, etc.).
>

> I agree also to a point. I do have to point out here that the first
> line of responsibility if the parent. It takes a parent, not a village
> to raise a child. The village should support and nuture. I have been
> reading a lot of material that suggests other wise, so I am kind of
> wound up on that fact.
>
> I beleive we are on the same page Tom. I think we are just looking at
> it from different angles.
>

>     --Tom

Jim Hays, Technology Coordinator
Monticello CUSD#25