[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer useleads to ass

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Wed Jan 25 17:44:09 UTC 2006

All,

I guess it depends on what you consider censorship also. The Children's
Internet Protection Act (http://www.ifea.net/cipa.pdf) gives us guidelines
of what should be censored. In that act it also gives school boards and
district administration the right to decide what else should be censored in
their respective school district beyond what is covered in the CIPA. If you
don't want any censorship or don't approve of it, go to your public library.
The majority, if not all, of public libraries do not filter at all. Our
computers are for educational purposes. They aren't for surfing the web,
checking commercial email (hotmail, gmail, aol, etc.), or playing games.
That goes for both staff and students in our district. This is something to
remember. And me personally, I'd rather be accussed of over censoring than
under censoring....

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy