[K12OSN] Re: OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to ass

RiE roger.in.eugene at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:58:42 UTC 2006

On 1/27/06, Mike Ely <mely at rogueriver.k12.or.us> wrote:
> Thanks to all for a very interesting and enlightening discussion.
> Ultimately, what it came down to for me is that while myspace might have
> some uses (I see more now having read this thread), we're saturating our
> dual-T1 uplink as it is, and so it's necessary to cut the fluff where
> possible.  Given the lack of a clear educational purpose for myspace,
> combined with the not insignificant potential for trouble in having it
> in, the decision to block stands.  After reading all this, I'll probably
> spend some time considering lifting the block once we have better
> outbound connectivity.  At this point, however, it would seem that the
> teachers welcome the block, as they were considering myspace to be an
> in-class nuisance before it was dropped.

Our schools have the option of blocking myspace or not.   When a site
is blocked, students can fill out a form requesting a site be
un-blocked.  I get copies of these.
A week or so ago, I took a longer look at myspace.  There are groups
for a couple of the local high schools.  Looking through the users
that 'belong' to the groups, there are people from 15-24 in some of
the groups.  Looking at some of the individual entries, there are pics
and movies that are not appropriate for viewing in school.
I've heard, but haven't seen, that some pages detail the use of
heroin.  I heard there was one that was talking about how to commit
suicide.  I don't know if these were Urban Legends the teachers were
hearing about, or if the pages do exist on myspace.
Judging by some of the comments, I think the students would be better
off learning grammar and spelling then to view myspace.  That's just
my opinion though..