[K12OSN] Samba and LDAP integration questions

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 29 02:46:51 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 16:27 -0500, David Trask wrote:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM +0000 wrote:
> >Yep.  I'm pretty sure I have this sorted.  Would you just mount the
> >users home directory on the K12LTSP servers via NFS when it boots up or
> >have a more dynamic mount when the user logs in?  Do you usually assign
> >the students with the same Group ID?
>
> Mount on startup (boot)....otherwise login can never happen.  Home
> directory needs to be in place to login or you'll get a gazillion errors.

Yes, that made the most sense to me.  Hearing about 'automounter' had me
confused.

> As for group ID....yes...I do, but you don't have to....depends on how you
> wnat everything to be organized.
>
> In the smbldap-installer scripts there are provisions for creating
> different containers for different "class" groups....example...by
> graduation year...grade level...etc.

Yep, our discussion today led to talk on organization of groups and so
forth and how it is done currently on only the K12LTSP/Linux side.  This
will need to be further planned.

I'll check out how smbldap-installer has theirs set out.

Our plan is to take this total solution to many schools so it should be
something pretty standard across the board.

> Another note:  Even though smbldap-installer utilizes Samba alongside LDAP
> doesn't mean you have to use Samba....if I were you....try and experiment
> with both FDS and smbldap-installer and find out what works best for you
>
> As for Samba in FDS...see this
> http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba   if you do this...let
> us all know how it goes  :-)

Yep, I took a read of that wiki entry last night.  It was very helpful
and I'll be testing it out ASAP.

I'll keep you all posted.

- Julian
http://julianyap.com