[K12OSN] server not forwarding packets for Windows clients

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Jan 30 19:25:43 UTC 2006

I've got a k12ltsp server providing DHCP addresses to a bunch of Windows machines.  The
intent is to turn the Windows boxes into thin clients with Universal Boot Floppies(tm)
or at least dual-boot systems.  The server is a two-nic config, and I installed it this
past weekend.  But today, when people are back in the office, the Windows clients are
getting addresses from the DHCP on the server, but any requests directed to the internet
are not getting any response.  I ran tracrert from a W2K box: it got as far as the
server but no further.  It's as if the server isn't forwarding any requests that come in
eth1 to eth0.  I turned off iptables, but that made no difference.  It seems something
is off in the routing/NAT'ing/masquerading, but what?

Petre