[K12OSN] Writing Math Equations

Michael C Wescott wescott at sc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 01:31:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 12:41 -0500, David Trask wrote:
> I have a teacher who wants to be able to write math equations that set up
> properly...just like in a textbook...

Use what many textbooks use: LaTeX. I use it for homework occasionally,
especially when the formulae get complex enough that cut/paste/edit in
emacs is less error prone than writing it out by hand.

There are macro sets for almost anything you might want to try.

There are wysiwyg additions to emacs: whizzytex and texmacs (neither of
which I've tried since the edit-save-preview cycle isn't onerous to
me).

Latex2html will do equations for web pages.

Both emacs and TeX can be had for Macs.