[K12OSN] Help! Doing the pivot_root nfs server not responding

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:53:40 UTC 2006

Hello All,

I have come back to school and started up our two k12ltsp servers and am
having some big problems.

Here's the history:
My technician replaced a Netgear 8 port gig switch with a 16 port Dlink gig
switch over the XMas holidays.
This switch is the first one that the two k12 servers connect to.
We did have several good power failures and surges during the holidays-  my
servers were shut down (but I use upss), while all of our switches remained
plugged in and not protected.

Now the fun stuff-

All but two of our 13 library clients refuse to get past the doing the
pivot_root   nfs server not responding line at start up.
I have moved it into my classroom that seems to be functioning ok- 30
clients on another k12 server.  I start the library boxes by pxe boot but
the library box can not start in my room... same network... same error...

Another classroom across the hall with 28 stations of really old boxes is
fully functional.  These boot from the same server as the library boxes...

Windows boxes on the library switch work...