Solved- Re: [K12OSN] Help! Doing the pivot_root nfs server not responding

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Jan 4 19:52:07 UTC 2006

Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Hello Huck,
>
> Thanks.  The new switch was the culprit...  The old broken 8 port switch
> is back in place and we seem to be working.

Yes.  It is the Switch.  I exhausted this topic last year.

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2005-August/msg00591.html

I currently have $600 in unusable TrendWare switches.  I tried Cat5,
Cat5e, Cat6, remade them all, tried the wiki nfs solution, etc.

I finally had to conclude that the engineering behind some cheaper Gig
switches was not good enough for the physics behind NFS.  It sounds
nuts, but I have found no other explanation that borders on logic.

> After coming back to a building where the heat was shut off, maintenance
> done in all of the ceillings...  we were getting panicky not knowing
> where to look next.
>
> Thanks again,  Jim

--scott