Re: [K12OSN] Re: New amer.com switch troubles

I'll try to find out, I'm not sure exactly. The quotes I have from the people that built the server don't say, I'll have to ask at the school for the original receipt or crack open the case. It's working with one of the "eepro" drivers, I believe.

John Baillie wrote:
Which gig intel nic?

http://support.intel.com/support/network/browsebyindex.htm#PRO1000

gKw-X wrote:

Hello,

I emailed recently about this problem and I want to bring it up again. I have a 1gig switch from amer.com and a 1gig intel nic in my server, but for some reason the connection between the server and the switch will not go over 100meg speed...

I have tried a couple commands to tell it to re-negotiate, and to tell it to go at 1000meg/full duplex, but it always ends up back at 100meg/full duplex. This is one of the commands I tried:

ethtool -s eth0 duplex full speed 1000

I have had several people suggest the cabling, I will give that another try, but it's a long drive to go in and I would like to have some other options when I do. What commands should I be running to verify the connection, and to change it? Is there any config anywhere that might tell it to use 100meg only? Or is it guaranteed to be a problem outside of the server?

I've heard certain kernels have trouble with 1gig speed. I don't know what version I have, but I downloaded k12ltsp in early August. Someone specifically mentioned that kernel version "2.6.11" and earlier has troubles with GB ethernet? Has anyone else ever had similar troubles or did it just magically work?

Also, I am pretty sure the cable is cat5e, and cable from the same spool is used between the swithes, and that connection reports 1000meg speed on the switch, so the cable should be fine, correct? Unless that one cable was badly crimped or by sheer bad luck has a flaw. Someone suggested I need cat6 cable, is this true?

Thanks for your input!