From: "gKw-X" <gkw-x shaw ca>
To: "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:03 PM
Subject: [K12OSN] Re: New amer.com switch troubles

Hello,

I emailed recently about this problem and I want to bring it up again. I
have a 1gig switch from amer.com and a 1gig intel nic in my server, but
for some reason the connection between the server and the switch will
not go over 100meg speed...

I have tried a couple commands to tell it to re-negotiate, and to tell
it to go at 1000meg/full duplex, but it always ends up back at
100meg/full duplex. This is one of the commands I tried:

ethtool -s eth0 duplex full speed 1000

I have had several people suggest the cabling, I will give that another
try, but it's a long drive to go in and I would like to have some other
options when I do. What commands should I be running to verify the
connection, and to change it? Is there any config anywhere that might
tell it to use 100meg only? Or is it guaranteed to be a problem outside
of the server?

I've heard certain kernels have trouble with 1gig speed. I don't know
what version I have, but I downloaded k12ltsp in early August. Someone
specifically mentioned that kernel version "2.6.11" and earlier has
troubles with GB ethernet? Has anyone else ever had similar troubles or
did it just magically work?

Also, I am pretty sure the cable is cat5e, and cable from the same spool
is used between the swithes, and that connection reports 1000meg speed
on the switch, so the cable should be fine, correct? Unless that one
cable was badly crimped or by sheer bad luck has a flaw. Someone
suggested I need cat6 cable, is this true?

It can be true. If the the quality of the signal is is not very good, then
the speed go
low due to the autonegotiated function between cards and switch.
Marian.
PS: Try the short test cable /cca 2m/ !!!

Thanks for your input!