[K12OSN] basic networking question

I'm getting tired of having to keep manually adding fresh dns server
addresses to machines and would rather that everything automatically
use whatever our ISPs dhcp hands out.  I've tried setting   an
internal machines dns server to the address of the gateway but it
doesn't work the way it does at home with my Linksys router. What do I
have to do to the gateway machine for that to happen? And are there
any security implications I should know about?

Thank you!

Peter