[K12OSN] basic networking question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jan 11 20:18:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 13:25, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> I'm getting tired of having to keep manually adding fresh dns server
> addresses to machines and would rather that everything automatically
> use whatever our ISPs dhcp hands out.  I've tried setting   an
> internal machines dns server to the address of the gateway but it
> doesn't work the way it does at home with my Linksys router. What do I
> have to do to the gateway machine for that to happen? And are there
> any security implications I should know about?

Normally you want your DHCP clients to use your server box for
dns - which should be the default k12ltsp setup.  Your server
box should be able to talk to the root DNS servers and the
rest of the world just as well as your ISP's servers can.
However if you prefer to use the ISP you can add 'forwarder'
entries in your server's named.conf.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com