Re: [SPAM-Score-7.2] [K12OSN] differentiated internet filtering by grade level question

Jesse McDonnell wrote:

  Any relaxing of the filtering that is implemented at school will have to be workable within our Windows and BESS environment.

Jesse -

Bess has the ability to have different rules depending on the machines connecting. So it is possible to have your High School machines with a different set of rules vs your Elementary School machines.

What you need to do though is have static IP's for each machine - High School Computer #1 always has the same IP address. That's done with reservations in your DHCP server. Then clump your High School machines together have them in a contiguous range 192.168.0.10 -> 192.168.0.100

(If you have your own hosted Bess server ) Look at Bess' Control Center. You need to make a new zone (under Delegate Tasks) that zone will have the range of your High School machine IP addresses. You can choose a differnet person to be the Adminsitrator if you want or \local\root can be it too. Once you have a separate zone, you can set different blocklists (or webmail allow in your case) for just that zone.

We do web filtering for 15+ school districts with Bess. Each district has its' own list of filtering (one school wants to block games another doesn't etc).

I think you what you want to do is technically possible, but will require a bit of organization to pull it off.

Scott

(Who misses filtering with Squid and SquidGuard and is working on the powers that be to switch ;-) )