Re: [K12OSN] Networking Guy needed for home networking question

Gentgeen wrote:

Dear List,

I know this is "School" list, but I am hoping some of you with formal
network training/understanding can help me out some.

I have LTSP set up on my home network, with "linuxbox" being used as my
main box and as the LTSP server.  I have an IPCop box that is my DHCP
server and my firewall.  I have a 4 port router (with wireless)  which
is being used as a switch and WAP (i.e. not using the WAN port/router
features) and an 8 port switch.  Everything is running at 100 Mbps.

Two of my computers, "emachine" and "aptiva" are win98/LTSP clients -
depending on what the kids want to do/play.  a third computer "boss" is
a dedicated LTSP client. (Real clever with my host names;-)  Below is a
wiring diagram, showing the general layout and IP address (all are in
the 192.168.0.* range).  The layout is mostly dependent on the wiring
and location of the computer in the house. (i.e. the switch services the
house, the router services just 1 room).

There does not appear to be any problems between the clients and the
server, but my question is -- is the a networking no-no?  Should I have
the clients all on the same switch?  Would I get better performance if
they were?  Making the physical changes would involve a lot just to
"test" my questions -- so I thought I would throw it out there before I
started drilling any holes, or rearranging desks :-)  Thanks in advance
for any input.

Internet -- Modem -- IPCop Box

	              192.168.0.*

Switch |
			 |___ boss (.0.4)

                        |___ Router ~~~ Wireless Connections

         emachine__(.0.1)______|

         aptiva____(.0.2)______|

         linuxbox__(.0.3)______|

Kevin Squire
Math Teacher, PAVCS

Kevin,

It really depends on traffic generated on the network on how/where the switch and router should be. In most setups, the router goes between the network and the "world" as it provides some filtering and provides some services - ie: vpn, remote control/access, dhcp, etc...

Are you using the router as a router or just another switch with a wireless access point? You probably do not do anything with the router other than provide connectivity so it is functioning as a switch with a wireless access point.

There is nothing wrong with you setup. If you have a switch as opposed to a "hub" you get some traffic filtering. Another variable is where the traffic from the 3 pc's go. How much is to Boss and how much is to the internet. If it is like most home ( and small office ) setups, the majority of the traffic is to the internet. The bottleneck or slow point of the network is the speed of the line from the ISP not the internal setup. The only limitation is the number of routers or switches is a setup ( hops ). Five is considered max ( switch to switch to switch to switch... ). So as long as you don't plan on adding too many more computers and switches in you home, you should be fine ( or just run a cable from all you switches/hubs back to the main switch ).

The only think I consider wrong ( just my opinion ) is your internal IP addresses. I never leave any router with it's default IP address. I always change the address to something ie: last 2 digits on year married, birthday, etc - ex: 192.168.70.x or 192.168.86.x.

Hope this helps a little.

Bob Cataldo
MFV EXPOSITIONS