[K12OSN] scripting advice re teachertool

petre at maltzen.net petre at maltzen.net
Fri Jan 13 13:54:23 UTC 2006

I think Eric's method is more bulletproof.  Many times when I've tried to
kill all the processes for a given user, they don't all die at the same
time, some taking longer than others.  I'll run 'ps -ef |grep $user' and
then kill -15 the PIDs by hand, and then run 'ps -ef ' again, and some
processes will still be out there.  So, then I 'kill -9' those remaining
processes, only to be told they don't exist, do the ps again, and indeed
they have disappeared.

Eric's approach allows that some processes will be slackers.

OTOH, I like the look of your appoach: shorter, more succinct.  But I
think in this case you should choose function over form.