Re: [K12OSN] Providing file services to Mac OS X clients

Never mind on the file sharing part; I found it, and you are correct, it's quite simple. Oddly, I can't get access to the printer the same way, via 'Windows sharing'; it asks for an ID and PW and no matter what I put in, it fails, even using an ID that does work for accessing file shares. For now I got around it using by configuring the printer as an IP printer and talking to it directly rather than through the server.

Petre Scheie wrote:
Could you elaborate on that? I'm going to be installing a server next week, and in addition to the thin clients, there are also some Mac clients that have to be supported. I've got an old Mac with OS X on it that I'm using for testing beforehand. But I haven't worked with Macs since before the OS X days when we used netatalk.

Also, how about printing? The Mac sees the printer that the terminal server is sharing, but whenever I try to print to it, nothing comes out. I did find this on the web:

http://www.tigert.com/archives/2005/05/13/mac-client-printing-to-cups-server-on-linux/

I tried adjusting the syntax as the folks there described but still nothing comes out of the printer. The thin clients all print just fine, as does my Xandros laptop which sends it's jobs via the server.

Mike Ely wrote:

Petre Scheie wrote:

To those of you who have Mac OS X clients, how do I provide file services for those clients? Do I need to add the netatalk packages? Or, since OS X is rather Unix-like underneath, can they just NFS-mount the user's home directory from the server?

Petre

Petre,

NFS works fine, but if you're among those of us (Torvalds included) who find NFS annoying, Samba works fine. No need to hassle with Netatalk, which is only useful if you have to support OS9 clients.

Cheers,
Mike