[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer useleads to assault and battery on campus"

Paul VanGundy vangundypw at sau14.k12.nh.us
Tue Jan 24 15:06:53 UTC 2006

MySpace has been blocked since day one in our district. As far as policy,
take a look at the Children's Internet Protection Act
(http://www.ifea.net/cipa.pdf). We had some personnel opposed to
filtering...recently they found MySpace websites that students had created
for teachers...and as you can guess the teachers had no clue and horrible
things were being said on there and it would appear as though the teacher
had said those things. They approved of the filtering after that incident.
School districts in the area have also had some legal issues that involved
MySpace. MySpace is a horrible blog site that I would say every school
district needs to block. If staff and students want to blog, get some
educational blog sites.

-Paul

--
Paul VanGundy