[K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Timothy Hart timothy.hart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:10:02 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, but doesn't becoming more tech savvy = being able to navigate
> MySpace, etc., oneself?

Yes, I agree.

There is nothing either fascist or censorial about reading public
> material on the web.  Part of being tech savvy is understanding that.

I am saying that it would be a waste to have someone reading all the
material looking for people saying mean things and what not. My point was as
we do become more tech savy this will happen automatically.

The question is whether or not the school has effective methods of
> addressing issues in students lives that aren't strictly punitive
> (advisors, counselors, mentors, therapists, etc.).

I agree also to a point. I do have to point out here that the first line of
responsibility if the parent. It takes a parent, not a village to raise a
child. The village should support and nuture. I have been reading a lot of
material that suggests other wise, so I am kind of wound up on that fact.

I beleive we are on the same page Tom. I think we are just looking at it
from different angles.

--Tom