Re: [K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

On 1/24/06, Tom Hoffman <tom hoffman gmail com> wrote:

Yes, but doesn't becoming more tech savvy = being able to navigate
MySpace, etc., oneself?

Yes, I agree.

There is nothing either fascist or censorial about reading public
material on the web.  Part of being tech savvy is understanding that.

I am saying that it would be a waste to have someone reading all the material looking for people saying mean things and what not. My point was as we do become more tech savy this will happen automatically.

The question is whether or not the school has effective methods of
addressing issues in students lives that aren't strictly punitive
(advisors, counselors, mentors, therapists, etc.).

I agree also to a point. I do have to point out here that the first line of responsibility if the parent. It takes a parent, not a village to raise a child. The village should support and nuture. I have been reading a lot of material that suggests other wise, so I am kind of wound up on that fact.

I beleive we are on the same page Tom. I think we are just looking at it from different angles.

--Tom