Re: [K12OSN] OT: "MySpace.com" or "policies for when computer use leads to assault and battery on campus"

Look, the only thing I worry about here is going too far with the amount of responsibilty schools put on themselves to raise children. That is all I am saying.

Also please do not automatically peg my being (by my own admission) young"er" with not being experienced enough to offer an opinion. I am not saying anything about a "Laissez faire" attitude, I just offer caution with going too far the other way. I am not saying content filtering is bad or that an eye shouldn't be looked at certain things. My point is that it isn't the only issue that should be brought to light. It upsets me that we are in a world when you jump on me for suggesting that parents be responsible for their own children.

I don't think I want to go to far into the age thing, but please do not discriminate against my saying I was younger. I offered that to suggest as teachers get more tech savy and actually "plug" into the same culture as the kids, a lot of these issues will go away. Not all, but teachers will be able to model good behavior. Not going to solve everything, that was just the point I was making.

Now about your teacher taken away in handcuffs. I would like to hear more about it. Is it your responsibility as a school to keep the individual out of trouble? I would argue to a point, yes. Where that point is is the question, and invariably will lie in a different place in different situations, as it should. I do not beleive it is laissez faire to say this but schools should be leary of just blocking "stuff." It just reminds me too much of China. Maybe I have read 1984 too much. Actually it stems from all that Lawrence Lessig.

By the way, good discussion. I like a little heat on the list.

Tim Hart
"Young, but know a thing or two."