[K12OSN] Samba and LDAP integration questions

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 02:31:57 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm working on a project to integrate a Samba PDC with an LDAP Server
for authentication for K12LTSP terminals.  This would all be on one
machine which would also be the file server for the users home
directories.  This would allow for Roaming Profiles.

All the talk thus far on the list has been on using the smbldap scripts.
I've taken a look at the instructions for installation but I was hoping
to replicate the methodology and potentially using different components.
Namely, I want to use Fedora Directory Server as the LDAP server.

I'm fairly new to the K12LTSP project so I have a few questions I hope
could be answered.

Why is a Samba PDC used instead of Posix user attributes?  Is this just
to allow MS Windows workstations or is there an advantage for the
K12LTSP terminals to work with Samba?

If a Samba PDC is not required then it's a matter of authenticating
logon off the LDAP server and perhaps auto-mounting the users home
directory off the file server using NFS.

Is this the correct approach?  If so/If not, is there a standardized way
of doing this without writing custom scripts?  Is there a standard way
of tying LDAP authentication with Roaming Profiles with a Samba PDC or
otherwise?

Part of this installation involves writing documentation.  I'm not sure
the extent of the documentation, but I'm looking to Open Source it to
the community.

Thanks for your help,

Julian
Member of the Board of Directors HOSEF (http://hosef.org)