[K12OSN] Samba and LDAP integration questions

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Sat Jan 28 21:27:19 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Saturday, January 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM +0000 wrote:
>Yep.  I'm pretty sure I have this sorted.  Would you just mount the
>users home directory on the K12LTSP servers via NFS when it boots up or
>have a more dynamic mount when the user logs in?  Do you usually assign
>the students with the same Group ID?

Mount on startup (boot)....otherwise login can never happen.  Home
directory needs to be in place to login or you'll get a gazillion errors.

As for group ID....yes...I do, but you don't have to....depends on how you
wnat everything to be organized.

In the smbldap-installer scripts there are provisions for creating
different containers for different "class" groups....example...by
graduation year...grade level...etc.

Another note:  Even though smbldap-installer utilizes Samba alongside LDAP
doesn't mean you have to use Samba....if I were you....try and experiment
with both FDS and smbldap-installer and find out what works best for you

As for Samba in FDS...see this
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba   if you do this...let
us all know how it goes  :-)
David N. Trask