[K12OSN] CrossOver Office - NWEA Testing

cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us cisna-barry at wc235.k12.il.us
Sun Jan 29 14:17:51 UTC 2006

Paul,
Scroll down in this listserve a few lines on my "howto" on getting
Accelerated Reader/Math, Star Reader/Math to work. I did end up using
CXOffice to get these installed but after many hours of tweaking,getting
them to install correctly under wine as well. I think lots of schools has
this older softwares,that they have dumped a lot of money into
licensing/product and want to utilize it.
For the 70$ for cxoffce-pro,it does generate nice Start menu stuff,for
each program, as well as installing programs globally or only for certain
users but is not neccessary.
Matter of fact these programs seem to run much smoother under
Wine/CXOffice than they ever did in Winders! You dont have the file
locking isssue,etc.This was kind of a big hurdle being able to use these
four programs that the teachers are used to using even though K12LTSP of
course has similar programs, that would do just as well.
Just for kicks,if youd like to, up your program(s), to your school ftp
server. I can install them & see if i can get it to run on Wine or
cxoffice and give you results. I did "repackge" all four of our
programs,before installing through wine,so i got the desired icons showing
for students like I liked them to be,with an installer we have.

Just a thought,,

Take Care,

Barry Cisna