Re: [K12OSN] scripting trash removal

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 13:22 -0500, Mark Gumprecht wrote:
Dave was nice to send me this for clearing cache

!#/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home`; do
echo "Doing $x ..."
cd /home/${x}/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache
rm -Rf *
done

Ok that works just fine. Soooo, If that works for cache, with a little mod like this

!#/bin/bash
for x in `ls /home`; do
echo "Doing $x ..."
cd /home/${x}/.Trash
rm -Rf *
done

You've probably already considered this but just in case:

Deleting cache files should be relatively transparent to an end-user (It
affects their performance somewhat but they shouldn't lose data.)
Deleting the contents on .Trash is unexpectedly circumventing the way
the Trash works (to be able to recover deleted files.)

If you hadn't already considered that, you might want to implement aging
of the Trash (like the tmpwatch program for /tmp) or user quotas (so the
user has to empty the Trash themselves in order to stay under quota.)

-Toshio

That's a good point. However, the vast majority of users do not use their Trash (or Recycle Bin) correctly at all. I'm sure many in here can recount numerous times where they found a user with a couple of gigs of general rubbish in their trash. Most people delete stuff and never ever empty. Yeah, there was that one lady who freaked when I emptied her trash (it's almost a nervous habit for me when sitting down at a desktop). Apparently she was actually using it as a folder to store stuff. D'oh!

Mike