[K12OSN] Change globaly Firefox Home page

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Sun Jan 29 23:34:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, M.Pribik wrote:

> Hello
> is it possible to set up centrally for all users default web home page? I supposed that I could find
> it somewhere in /usr/lib/firefox-1.5/greprefs/all.js,  but I can not find the proper place. Current default
> Web home page is www.google.com.
> Can somebody guide me how to change it to another?
> Thank you.
> Marian.

The easy way, if you are running K12LTSP 4.4 or later, is to use
sabayon. If it is installed, you'll find it in the System menu ->
Administration -> User Profile Editor. It is pretty straight-forward
to use, create a new profile which will pop open a window with a
default desktop inside of it. Make your edits (i.e. open up
firefox and change the default homepage) and exit. Then click
on the User button and select either "Use this profile for all
users" or for specific users if you prefer. Good idea to test
it out on a single account first ;-)

If you don't see "User Profile Editor" in the System->Administration
menu, this will make sure it is installed:

 	yum install sabayon sabayon-admin

If you are running a version of K12LTSP older than 4.4.x, the patch I
use to set the home page in my packages ends up changing the file
/usr/lib/firefox-1.0.7/chrome/en-US.jar ...

  # firefox.js
-browser.startup.homepage=file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
+browser.startup.homepage=http://www.google.com

  #config.js
-startup.homepage_override_url=file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html
+startup.homepage_override_url=http://www.google.com

-Eric