Re: [K12OSN] allowing users to write to CDs in server

Answering my own question, it's just a matter of making /dev/hd* writeable by others. In my case, it means changing the permissions on /dev/hda from 750 to 777. Interestingly, the permissions revert back to 750 after reboot, though I don't know why.

Petre Scheie wrote:
How do I allow users to write to the CD-burner in the server? Nautilus has a 'CD/DVD creator' under the Places menu, but when a regular user then selects 'Write to disk' under the file menu, it just keeps asking for a disk in the CD drive even though there's already one there. I changed the permissions to setuid for root for /usr/bin/cdrecord, but to no avail. If I log in as root, it works, but the uses want to be able create their own CDs. (These are all adults so I'm not worried about them behaving themselves.)

Petre