[K12OSN] SMB/LDAP management with Webmin Users and Groups module

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Jul 10 13:07:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 14:55:30 -0400, Peter Hartmann wrote
> >I really wished it worked with the bulk
> > import scripts but it didn't create the samba users,
>
> Shoot, I didn't notice that.  :(  As a quick fix I guess I could sync
> the unix and samba users and then just delete the unix accts.   Did
> you ever get IMC working?  I'm also running FC4 and am having the
> same glob errors with imc startup.

Yeah, that was a big hang up for me, only part missing to make it a complete
solution for managing the samba/ldap.  However you can simply use Matt and
Dave's bulk import scripts at the command line to get the server populated,
then use Webmin for management after that.

Never got IMC working.  I had enough things to try, so I gave up on it pretty
quickly.  Support for IMC didn't seem to be very good. I am still subscribed
to the IMC mailing list and get about 1 or 2 posts a month from it, not very
helpful.  I tried about a half dozen management tools, none worked as a
complete management solution, I always had to combine at least 2 tools to get
things done.  I do think that if the bulk import in Webmin worked to create
the Samba users that would be the best tool so far.  I think if you did set it
up to sync samba users on import you would have another problem, first, all of
those local unix accounts for no reason, not really a problem but messy.
Second, I think a problem with the creation of the samba accounts is the bulk
import didn't know enough to grab the defaults for account creation as
specified in the LDAP module.  So you could create all of the users, but they
wouldn't have the proper /home directory path and such.